My wife and I were fortunate enough to have a great date night when the Eagles brought their An Evening With The Eagles tour to Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Monday, March 26th.
Although we’ve seen lots of concerts over the years neither one of us had ever seen the Eagles before and felt like this might be our only opportunity.
When we told our teenage daughters we’d be going to the show they didn’t know who the Eagles were. We tried to play some of the Eagles’ biggest hits to jar their memory. Nothing! They didn’t recognize a single one! Talk about a “we failed as parents” moment for my wife and me.
It was an awesome concert. I think it easily ranks in my Top 5 Favorite Concerts of all time. If the Eagles ever come near you, and you can afford it, you should definitely go.
They played for 2.5 hours without stopping and took the audience on a journey through the decades and their hits. Twenty-seven of them!
Over the course of the night, I had lots of random thoughts. Here are a few.
Random Thoughts From An Evening With The Eagles
- Dang! Starting with Seven Bridges Road is a bold move… but they nailed it. If this is any indication of the rest of the night, we’re in for something special.
- Deacon Frey doesn’t sound exactly like his late father, Glenn Frey, but it’s close enough. Add the familiar harmonies and guitar licks and you’d think Glenn was actually here.
- Yes! This is an older crowd. We shouldn’t have to deal with a bunch of drunks and can sit and enjoy the show.
- These dudes can really rock! I wonder how old they are. I should Google that later.
- Vince Gill was the perfect choice to join the band. He’s an excellent musician and can harmonize with the best of them.
- Joe Walsh is an entertaining guy.
- Don Henley looks like an actor… but which one? It’s right on the tip of my tongue.
- That woman a few rows in front of us might think she’s dancing but from this vantage point, it looks like she’s trying to land a plane.
- I wonder what the average age of the crowd is. I’m betting it’s upper 40’s.
- Because it’s an older crowd there are a lot fewer phones out taking pictures and videos than at any other concert I’ve been to.
- Those are some funny faces Joe Walsh makes when he’s really getting into the music. Almost looks like he’s trying to keep his dentures in. Who cares, though. He can flat out play!
- Robert Patrick from Scorpion! That’s the actor Don Henley looks like.
- Vince Gill has had lots accomplishments and won many awards in his career but a highlight has to be looking over and seeing Joe Walsh nailing the guitar part to one of his own songs.
- I forgot just how many great songs the Eagles had.
- Seriously, how old are these guys? I’ve seen performers half their age not sound as good or have the energy these guys have.
- 60! Vince just said he was 60 and was the youngest of the old guys.
- Any artist that wants to see how to do a live show should watch the Eagles. They can captivate an audience on talent alone and not pyrotechnics or stage tricks.
- And we’ve come full circle… Desperado was the perfect choice to end the night.