This post is a little self indulgent since it’s all about my annual family reunion camping vacation. Hopefully by reading my experiences you’ll remember some of your favorite vacation moments.
Here they are (in no particular order) my top 10 vacation highlights:
1. Seeing and socializing with family that I haven’t seen in awhile. I’ve said it before; Facebook is great for staying connected but it doesn’t compare to in person conversations.
2. Raspberry Creme Pie! It’s a family recipe and a family favorite. If I remember right we went through 5 or 6 of them and one was even made in my Grandmother’s pie tin.
3. Spending a few hours disc golfing with my brother. We very rarely get the chance to hang out just the two of us and when we do he’s usually helping me with some project. We played 18 holes on one course and 3 on another (the other 6 were under water). It was a fun time even though he won fairly easily.
4. Fishing with my Uncles. Everything I know about fishing I’ve learned from them… and I learn something new every time.
5. Our fish fry. This is becoming a tradition. One of my Uncles does the frying and I cut the fish into pieces. This trip he brought some red snapper, crappie, and walleye. We had camping surf and turf. A little steak, some fish… delish!
6. Cruising on my Uncle’s boat. There’s something really relaxing about being out on the water.
7. Campfire conversations and s’mores. There’s something about a crackling fire that brings out great stories.
8. Apple Sauce bars. Another family favorite. A pan of these doesn’t last long around our crew.
9. Taking a group photo. We actually took two. One with all 11 Ford’s and their owners. The other one was of our group of 38 in matching t-shirts.
10. Watching all the kids having fun with each other. Bikes, bubbles, scooters, sticks… they played with them all just like kids should.
11. Had to throw in one more… the impromptu pizza party we had at the hotel that part of the group was staying at. The rain didn’t stop us from having a great time.
There you go. My top vacation moments. What is the best family vacation you ever had? Where did you go and why was it the best?