Previously I offered up 10 Tips & 14 Foods To Try At The Iowa State Fair. Having spent a few days out there I felt I should throw a few more tips your way. (These aren’t Iowa State Fair specific. They would apply to any outdoor, large crowd gathering.)
1. Take your kid’s picture at the start of the day. You can read why here.
2. Ditch the bulky purse. This tip comes from my wife and oldest daughter. This year my wife opted for the smallest purse she had to carry just the essentials. My daughter went with a draw sting bag/backpack.
3. Wear comfortable shoes. Yes, it’s Summer. Yes, it’s hot… but you’ll be walking and standing a lot. Your flip flops won’t cut it.
4. Wear shorts and light colored shirts. Even if you don’t think you look good in shorts go ahead and wear them. No one cares what you look like.
5. Eat a good breakfast. It’ll make a good base for all the high fat and calorie foods you’ll consume throughout the day.
6. Drink lots of water! Buy a bottle of water at the start of the day and then fill it up every time you pass a drinking fountain. It’ll save you money and keep you hydrated.
7. Wear sunscreen. This is one tip I’ve seen people forget and they end up looking like a lobster by the end of the day.
8. Check the fair’s website for things that might interest you. My girls love looking at the homemade doll houses. I like the photography. We all love watching the sheep dogs and cutting horses.
9. Bring hand sanitizer. There are lots of “hands on” activities. This could help keep you from getting sick.
10. Get your hand stamped on the way out even if you don’t plan on going back. You never know what could happen. Plans might change or you could have car troubles. This way you could at least get back into the fair instead of having to wait in the parking lot.
What are your best Iowa State Fair tips? Leave a comment and let me know.